You’re probably a YA protagonist if…
- You’re female. (Sorry guys – you’re probably a complicated love interest.)
- All the adults in your life are useless, cryptic and/or evil.
- You survived three life threatening situations before breakfast.
- You can go a whole day-long battle without needing the bathroom once.
- One of the guys in your love triangle is frequently and inexplicably shirtless.
- People are obsessed with your blood.
- Your eyes flash, and no one finds this disturbing.
- Your week starts with vampires and ends with a war against the System.
- Your school offers magic classes but never teaches you to read and write.
- You frequently wake up in a daze.
- You’ve discovered you’re actually half-human, half-mythological creature and are taking it in your stride.
- A Resistance made you their leader, no experience necessary.
- A disembodied voice describes your (green) eye colour whenever you look in a mirror.
- You just released a breath you didn’t even know you were holding.
- There’s always someone around to heal your otherwise life threatening wounds. You may or may not remember you have scars.
- You have so many decisions. Life or death. Freedom or control. This handsome guy or that handsome guy.
- Your life is segmented perfectly into a trilogy.
So, are you a YA protagonist?