Title: Dragonfly in Amber
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Series: Outlander, #2
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Delacorte (Imprint of Random House)
Date Published: July 1st, 1992
For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones … about a love that transcends the boundaries of time … and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his….
Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart … in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising … and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves….
Overall I really liked the second book in this series. It was a great follow up and although it’s very long, it was fairly easy to keep turning the page to continue.
Some things I didn’t like:
– I don’t like that it started off telling us what would happen. I wish it would have started back right where the other one left off. Instead, throughout their whole journey trying to stop something, we know for a fact it doesn’t succeed. That’s one major thing I didn’t like about this book.
– The length and “fluff” the book contained. There just seemed to be a lot of things in the book, which I’m sure were character building or something of the sort, but didn’t really add to the story. I truly believe that with good editing, this book probably could have been cut in half. This was one of the main reasons why I struggled with giving this a 3 or a 4.
– Way too much rape and underage sex. I just can’t get past how much is in this series so far. Although I did give it a 3.5, I think there were just 2 too many underage sex/rape scenes in this book (there were 2).
– Starts off very slow and ends a little slow. I’m not a big fan of the scenes where she’s back in her “own time”. I just think those parts move really slow. There are also other parts throughout the book that move a bit slow (such as some parts in Paris). If you asked me to rate this throughout the book my rating certainly would have been different at different points.
What I did like:
– Jamie! I can’t get enough of him. Anyone who says he’s too controlling is crazy. I think that in the first book he was a bit controlling. But you gotta realize that that’s what it was like back in those days, it was the norm. However, in the first book he promises he will never beat her again, and he keeps his word. I just love him even more in this book. He’s much more loving, romantic, and passionate about Claire; what’s not to love? He’s just a fantastic character and I can’t get enough of him!
– That there’s more! I can’t wait to get started on the next book. I’m off to the library after writing this.
I honestly can’t imagine how there are so many more books in this series. What else could possibly happen that hasn’t? Well, I’ll be finding out though…
More Reviews Goodreads | AmazonPurchase Links Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes & Noble
Leave a Reply